Author: Herald Newspaper

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Muhammed Idris, has said that the media landscape is rife with fake news, deepfake, misinformation, and disinformation, among others. The minister stated this on Friday in Abuja, at the closing ceremony of the PRNigeria 2025 Young Communication Fellowship, organized by Image Merchant Promotion Limited (IMP) Idris, who was represented by the Managing Director, News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Ali M. Ali, added that the challenge of fake news was compounded by innovations in artificial intelligence and immersive journalism. He, therefore, advised the young graduating fellows to be discerning and circumspect in the discharge…

Read More

Latest report by the World Health Organisation (WHO) has shown major progress in the global fight against measles, with cases and deaths declining sharply over the past 24 years. According to a statement issued in Abuja by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, on Friday, WHO disclosed that global measles cases fell by 71 per cent, from an estimated 38 million in 2000 to 11 million in 2024. It said that deaths declined by 88 per cent during the same period, dropping from 777,000 to 95,000, the lowest annual estimate in decades. “An estimated 58.7 million deaths were prevented through measles vaccination…

Read More

In compliance with a recent presidential directive, the Inspector-General of Police (I-G), Mr. Kayode Egbetokun, on Thursday informed that 11,566 personnel attached to Very Important Persons (VIPs) had been recalled. The I-G said this in Abuja at a conference with Strategic Police Managers consisting of officers from the rank of Commissioners and above, adding that the recalled officers would be deployed to active police entities immediately. He said the presidential order was to ensure that more officers were repositioned from personalised security duties to collective public protection responsibilities where their presence and operational impact were urgently required. “However, while we…

Read More

The Court of Appeal in Abuja, on Friday, struck out an appeal filed by Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). A three-member panel of justices, in a unanimous judgment, held that the appeal lacked merit and had become academic following Kanu’s conviction for terrorism offences. Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court (FHC) in Abuja, on November 20, convicted and sentenced the IPOB leader to life imprisonment after he was found guilty of terrorism offences charged by the Department of State Services (DSS). Kanu had claimed, in the instant appeal, that his fundamental rights…

Read More

By Rukayat Abdulraheem, Lawrence Okedare and Haliru Idris The Governor of Kwara State, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has announced a cabinet-level security committee to midwife alternative short-to-long term solutions to curtail further security breaches. The committee is headed by Deputy Governor Mr. Kayode Alabi with Mrs. Olufunke Mercy Shittu, PhD of the Office of the Head of Service, will serve as the secretary. Other members of the committee are Special Adviser on Security Matters Brigadier General Saliu Tunde Bello; Hon. Commissioner for Local Government, Chieftaincy Affairs and Community Development Abdullahi Bata; Senior Special Assistant on Security Alhaji Muhyideen Aliu; Special Assistant on…

Read More

The Kogi State Police Command has urged residents to disregard false alarms and reports circulating on social media regarding imminent attacks by bandits in the eastern part of the state The Commissioner of Police, CP Naziru Kankarofi, gave the charge in a statement signed by the command’s spokesperson, CSP William Ovye-Aya on Monday in Lokoja. “Such reports are unverifiable and did not constitute any elements of truth. “The command has taken security matters very seriously and has put measures in place to ensure the safety of lives and property in the state,” he said. The commissioner said that he has ordered the…

Read More

By Lawrence Okedare, Rukayat Abdulraheem and Haliru Idris Following last Sunday’s order by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, there are indications that the Police authorities have commenced immediate implementation of the withdrawal of police officers currently providing security for Very Important Persons (VIPs) across the country. The President had directed the police authorities to henceforth deploy the officers to concentrate on their core police duties. The presidential directive was issued during a security meeting held by President Tinubu with the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu; the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sunday Kelvin Aneke; the Inspector-General of…

Read More

The Nigerian Army has said that a full-scale investigation is currently ongoing to unravel facts about alleged withdrawal of troops from the Maga community in Kebbi State shortly before the abduction of 25 schoolgirls on November 17. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the military leadership is treating the development “with utmost seriousness” and has vowed firm action against any personnel found culpable. The abduction took place at the Government Comprehensive Girls Secondary School, Maga in the Danko Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State. The investigation follows an official demand for explanations from military authorities by Kebbi…

Read More

The Poultry Association of Nigeria (PAN), Lagos State Chapter, has assured residents of a drop in the price of poultry produce following the intervention of the Lagos State Government ‘Ounje Eko’ phase 2 farmers subsidy programme. PAN Vice President and Chairman of the Aiyedoto Poultry Farmers Settlement, Mr Foluso Adams, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Lagos. The Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture and Food Systems has announced the commencement of Phase II of the Ounje Eko recently to cut down food prices ahead of the yuletide. Adams noted that the…

Read More

The Kogi State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, has debunked allegations of diversion of local government funds in the state. While addressing a news conference in Abuja on Monday, he described the allegation by the groups as untrue, politically-motivated and deliberately orchestrated to mislead the public. “Ordinarily, such baseless propaganda would not deserve a response. But as we all know, when lies go unchallenged, they begin to look like truth. “Silence can unintentionally empower misinformation. We are a government committed to transparency, accountability and the right of our citizens to accurate information. “It is important to set the…

Read More